Russian words конь and лошадь
In an episode of the series Anna the Detective a young lady who has been living abroad with her aristocratic Russian mother returns to Russia and goes into a stable with a groom who points out a horse to her. She refers to is as a конь and he corrects her using the word лошад. Since my dictionary gives both words with no indication of which is preferred I was wondering which is the more commonly used word. Is there a nuance of difference?
The generic word for "horse" is лошадь. It means that, if we do not know if the horse is a male or a female, we would say лошадь. Конь is used when if we know it is a male horse.
More questions like this one
- Difference between за один, за одного, за два and за двоих
- Difference between помещаться and находиться
- Differences between свадьба, венчание, бракосочетание, брак, женитьба?
- Difference between “учение” and “обучение”
- Translation of the Russian noun лечение
- What is the difference between these words: Грабёж, ограбление, хищение, воровство, разбой. Thank you!
- The verbs садиться and присаживаться
- Russian verb жарить
- Разница между “просить у кого” и “просить кого”?
- Difference between также and тоже