Russian words конь and лошадь
In an episode of the series Anna the Detective a young lady who has been living abroad with her aristocratic Russian mother returns to Russia and goes into a stable with a groom who points out a horse to her. She refers to is as a конь and he corrects her using the word лошад. Since my dictionary gives both words with no indication of which is preferred I was wondering which is the more commonly used word. Is there a nuance of difference?
The generic word for "horse" is лошадь. It means that, if we do not know if the horse is a male or a female, we would say лошадь. Конь is used when if we know it is a male horse.
More questions like this one
- Difference between помещаться and находиться
- The verb тащить
- Учебник русского языка and Экзамен по русскому языку
- Do all the Russians understand each other?
- Difference between куда and где
- Russian verb жарить
- “В 90-е годы” and “в 90-х годах”
- What is the difference between these words: Грабёж, ограбление, хищение, воровство, разбой. Thank you!
- Differences between свадьба, венчание, бракосочетание, брак, женитьба?
- Difference between “оба” and “и то, и другое”