Russian words конь and лошадь
In an episode of the series Anna the Detective a young lady who has been living abroad with her aristocratic Russian mother returns to Russia and goes into a stable with a groom who points out a horse to her. She refers to is as a конь and he corrects her using the word лошад. Since my dictionary gives both words with no indication of which is preferred I was wondering which is the more commonly used word. Is there a nuance of difference?
The generic word for "horse" is лошадь. It means that, if we do not know if the horse is a male or a female, we would say лошадь. Конь is used when if we know it is a male horse.
More questions like this one
- Difference between помещаться and находиться
- The verbs садиться and присаживаться
- Difference between просто and только
- Difference between “учение” and “обучение”
- Differences between свадьба, венчание, бракосочетание, брак, женитьба?
- “В 90-е годы” and “в 90-х годах”
- The difference between пояс and ремень
- Difference between болезнь and заболевание, ОРВИ and ОРЗ?
- The word всего
- Difference between “на русском языке”, “в русском языке”, “по русскому языку”…