Russian words конь and лошадь
In an episode of the series Anna the Detective a young lady who has been living abroad with her aristocratic Russian mother returns to Russia and goes into a stable with a groom who points out a horse to her. She refers to is as a конь and he corrects her using the word лошад. Since my dictionary gives both words with no indication of which is preferred I was wondering which is the more commonly used word. Is there a nuance of difference?
The generic word for "horse" is лошадь. It means that, if we do not know if the horse is a male or a female, we would say лошадь. Конь is used when if we know it is a male horse.
More questions like this one
- Difference between “на”, “для” и “за”.
- Translation of the Russian noun лечение
- Russian verb “to ask”
- Difference between болезнь and заболевание, ОРВИ and ОРЗ?
- Do all the Russians understand each other?
- Difference between the prepositions за, от, с
- Is there a difference between в 80-ых годах and в 80-ые годы?
- The verb тащить
- The difference between Брать and браться
- Разница между “просить у кого” и “просить кого”?