Russian word встреча
I ran across a dual language e-book for Crime and Punishment. In the second paragraph of the first chapter we get
Он благополучно избегнул встречи с своею хозяйкой
Which is translates as
He had successfully avoided meeting his landlady
I looked up встречать (ся) / встетить(ся) in BARRON’S 501 RUSSIAN VERBS and I can’t find any form of the verb corresponding to встречи. I would have thought one of the infinitives would have been called for.
Could you help me understand this situation?
In this case, the word встречи is a noun in the Genitive case, "a meeting", встреча. The Russian verb "to avoid" (избегать-избегнуть) is always followed by a noun in the Genitive case, it can't be followed by a verb (gerund), as it happens in English.
More questions like this one
- Translation of “работница Англии”
- Translation of a Russian phrase
- Russian verb “to teach”
- Russian Translation of “Life Everywhere is Life”
- Translation of Where now into Russian
- Russian Instrumental Case
- The verb “говорить”
- The Translation of “Speaking Spanish”
- Translation of “есть”, used by soldiers
- The Translation of “I was recently surprised by this simple thought”