Russian translation of “вместо батареек”
In the story без паники! we have the phrase “вместо батареек”, “instead of batteries”. I looked up battery in my Russian Dictionary and got “батарейка”. My understanding is that the genitive plural of a feminine noun ending in “a” is formed by simply chopping off the “a”. So I would have thought that the genitive plural of батарейка would be батарейк, not батареек. Could you help me understand this situation?
The stem of the word батарейка ends in й. In the Genitive case plural we can't use two consonants in a row, so we can't say батарейк, so we put е instead of й.
Some other examples:
телогрейка - телогреек
семейка - семеек, etc.
More questions like this one
- Russian Cases Test
- Russian Declension
- Russian verbs with cases: best resources
- Russian cases: best resources
- Russian cases, how to recognize them
- Case with the Preposition за
- Russian Numerals, Adjectives and Nouns
- The verbs быть and стать with the Instrumental case
- Russian Genitive case
- Russian Instrumental Case