Russian Instrumental Case
Russian verbs, adjectives, participles and nouns can be used with different cases. The short participle озабочен (озабочена, озабочены) are always used with nouns and adjectives Instrumental case.
Отец был озабочен результатами экзаменов. Father was worried about the results of the exam.
Матери is the Genitive case because your phrase can be translated (literally) as "She was worried about leaving of her mother". All the expressions used with the preposition "of" in the English language in the sense of possession are used with the Genitive case in Russian.
More questions like this one
- Russian Declension
- To describe what a person is wearing, the prepositional or accusative case is used?
- Russian Cases Test
- What cases “Падежи” we use after the preposition “по”
- Russian cases, how to recognize them
- Russian verbs with cases: best resources
- Russian translation of “вместо батареек”
- Instrumental Case
- Case with the Preposition за
- The verbs быть and стать with the Instrumental case