It is the plural number. If you want to say "I saw writers", it is going to be Я видел писателей. And "I saw a writer" is Я видел писателя. It is the same example with the bears, Я видел медведей, plural, Я видел медведя, singular.
More questions like this one
- Instrumental Case
- What cases “Падежи” we use after the preposition “по”
- Verbs with Cases
- The verbs быть and стать with the Instrumental case
- Russian verbs with cases: best resources
- Case with the Preposition за
- To describe what a person is wearing, the prepositional or accusative case is used?
- What cases “Падежи” we use after the preposition “за”
- Russian translation of “вместо батареек”
- Russian Cases Test